Hi Guys & Dolls!
15 years ago, my favorite band returned from a long hiatus, with a song on the soundtrack for the movie “Go!”. The video features the band mates playing various characters at a rave, and Gwen’s Anime meets Rave Girl makeup stuck a chord in me. I wish there had been makeup tutorials in my younger days! But now I’m the one making the makeup tutorials, and as Saturn returns to my natal saturn (an astrology thing, basically I’m about the same age Gwen was when she wrote this song and the Return of Saturn album) I thought it would be the perfect time to recreate this look. No Doubt and it’s iconic leading lady Gwen Stefani are one of my all time favorites, and their album, Return of Saturn was the soundtrack to my high school days.
Not sure if he’s the one? Listen to “Artificial Sweetener”. Boy breaks up with me? Blast “Ex-Girlfriend” The neat thing is, songs like “Simple Kind of Life” have a new meaning for me now as an adult who is in the same stage of life Gwen was when she wrote it. Gwen has been my style Icon since “Just a Girl” -wearing bindis and curled bangs, and I was the first girl at my high school to copy her iconic pink hair. Her Ombre pink wedding dress inspired my own rebellious green one. I love that she is a strong feminine role model for women everywhere, and I just love how her look is ever evolving and iconic.
These are screen grabs from the video. From what I could find, the original makeup artist is Joanne Gair.
- OCC Cosmetic Color Pencil “Feathered” & “Tarred”
- MIlani Eye Tech Mini Eyeliner (Killer for winged liner!)
- Urban Decay “eden” Eye Primer
- MAC Vanilla Eyeshadow
- Ben Nye “Ice” “Azalea” & “Cosmic Violet” Lumiere Eyeshadows
- Sugarpill “Dollipop” & “Tako” Eyeshadows
- MAC “Blacktrack” Fluidline
- Anastasia Beverly Hills “Medium Ash” Brow Wiz
- CeraVe Am spf 30 Moisturizer
- MAC Prep & Prime Skin
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid “NW13” Foundation
- MAC Pro Longwear Concealer “NW15”
- MAC Mineralize Skinfinish “Light”
- Illamasqua Heroine Eyeshadow (Contour)
- tarte blush bride blush
- Milani “Natural Taupe” Brow Tint Pen (for filling in my under-eye freckle)
MAC Prep & Prime Lip
OCC Cosmetic Color Pencil “Black Dahlia”
Milani “Cabaret Blend” Lipstick
Milani “Black Cherry” Brilliant Shine Lipgloss