Hey Guys and Dolls,
Last week a surprise hot pink box was left on my doorstep and that can only mean one thing: SUGARPILL! I tore the box open to reveal the new Edward Scissorhands 25th Anniversary Palette. Cue the drooling while heavy-petting the palette. I then realized it had been years since I’d seen Edward “Scissor Me Timbers” I whipped out my copy and rediscovered this gem of a film. When I was a teen I was enamored with the surface stuff- OOH pretty pastels, nearly unrequited love, gothic romance, TIM BURTON and JOHNNY DEPP! *teen swoon*. Embarrassingly I wrote a paper on this for my Film Studies class and I don’t think my teacher was too impressed with my freshman crush on Tim Burton. He did like how I dubbed this a candy coated gothic fariytale meets film noir, and I got points for mentioning how wooden Winona Ryder’s performance was (my teacher hated her- know your audience!) I’ve watched it twice in the last 72 hours and you know what? After 25 years it holds up. If anything it’s commentary on societal conformity is even more poignant today in a world of Instagram filters, Photoshop and feeling so much pressure to be perfect!
I also noticed little things I’d never noticed before- in the beginning the suburbs look picturesque in their pastel perfection- in part because Tim Burton used miniatures to make it feel plastic and banal. As the film goes on you notice things like dry patched in lawns and oil stains. The facade is gone, and you see what’s at work here- conform to our ideals and let Joyce will try to seduce you (blech) or an angry mob will hunt you down.
Since Joyce is the scariest character as far as I’m concerned, I wanted to do a fun tutorial to capture the essence of her tacky ickiness. In the film she sports a wicked cut crease-double liner combo with painted on lashes but since that is pretty much normal now I decided to push it a bit further into a 60’s meets 80’s tacky fest with a triadic color combo. Yowza! I am digging it. ENJOY!
- MAC Concealer palette maccosmetics.com
- Urban Decay Primer Potion http://bit.ly/1KQo9Nl
- NYX Milk Jumbo Pencil http://bit.ly/1jwDaOD
- Sugarpill Edward Scissorhands Palette sugarpillshop.com
- Kat Von D Trooper Ink Liner http://bit.ly/1L37ieP
- Revlon Matte Lemon Eyeliner http://bit.ly/1P4JfxS
- Blinc Mascara Amplified http://bit.ly/1PMxsCj
- Eyelure #205 Lashes http://bit.ly/1O6MSnz
- MAC #7 Lashes http://shop.nordstrom.com
- Melt Cosmetics Summer meltcosmetics.com
- MAC Lasting Sensation Liplinermaccosmetics.com
- MAC Studio Fix Fluid NW13 http://bit.ly/1jwGMAj
- Serenity+Scott Fairest Powder shop.serenityscottbeauty.com
- Anastasia Beverly Hills Medium Brown & Auburn Brow Wiz http://bit.ly/1Pl0V63
- Urban Decay Taupe Brow Pencil http://bit.ly/1L39bIl
- Eyelure Brow Gel http://bit.ly/1Vm5TH3
2601 Blanding Ave
Alameda Ca 94501
I purchase most of the products on my channel myself, but sometimes I’m lucky enough to have brands send me products for review for consideration. I do my best to mark these items with a (*). All thoughts and views expressed are always honest and 100% based on my own experience.